Tuesday, August 17, 2010

T-Time!


We trekked out to Eastham last weekend to visit a family fun landmark. T-Time Family Sports Center is located on Rt. 6 just before the Wellfleet Drive-In. Little did I know what a workout I would get smacking a tiny white ball.


T-Time is a sprawling 11 acre driving range that also includes a 19 hole mini-golf course, batting cages and an arcade. Proprietor Jamie Tedeschi tells us the range has been operating seasonally since the forties, while Jamie and his brother Rich has been running it for the last 19.




He handed me a driver and a bucket of balls and I went to town.



I have played real golf just once. And for good reason. I was so bad that the golf course looked like the Cape side of the Sagamore Bridge at 6pm Sunday night on 4th o’ July weekend. A little backed up. Since then I’ve stuck to mini-golf where I manage to maintain a Tuesday night commute in December. I had a basic idea of how to hold the club, and did my best imitation of looking like I knew what I was doing.



 The first few balls were rough. I even managed to completely miss a few, much to Lauren’s glee. Once I finally made solid contact with a satisfying “PING!” I felt more confident. A few more of those and I accidentally moved my foot position and I was back to slamming the ball off the bay wall. The whole bucket of balls went back and forth from good to bad to good to bad, all the while using muscles that have been dormant since I was twelve. I left the driving bay wanting to learn to get better and beat the 150 yards I maxed out at. Off to the batting cages.



There are 3 batting cages: They are softball, baseball major league @ 80-85 mph, and baseball little league @ 40-45mph (and the cage of choice for this 43 year old). A variety of bats and stylish helmets are available to choose from.


I popped in some Big League Chew, dropped a token, and showed the machine my strike zone, which was a tad higher than the little leaguers it was adjusted for. I moved up a little and started swinging. Wouldn’t ya know it? More muscles I haven’t talked to in a while – but unlike the driving range, I hit all the balls - and most of them landed in front of me. My own little league days didn’t fare so well, my only hit of the season was a foul bunt, so I was king of the world today. Perhaps the major league cage next time?




We didn’t have time for the mini golf because we were off to our next destination – the Wellfleet Drive In, which you can read about next week! For more info on T-Time, check out http://www.t-timesports.com/. Unlimited range balls memberships are available. T-Time is open Monday – Sunday 9am-10pm weather permitting through Columbus Day weekend.

I didn’t ache the next day like I thought I would. I guess the pilates machine is paying off. Whether you want to work on perfecting your swing, or just beat the tar out of some balls, you will surely enjoy T-Time in Eastham!

No comments:

Post a Comment